Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday Inn – Glendale, CA




Holiday Inn – Glendale, CA

The Holiday Inn had an upscale bar with a tiny stage and dance floor. The Band (which was there for years) featured Chief Alexander LongRifle http://www.myspace.com/alexanderlongrifle, http://glendalenewspress.com/articles/2005/08/13/export202.txt Vince Labor on keyboards, and John Horrigan on drums.


The Holiday Inn – Glendale, also had large rooms that Parents Without Partners rented out once a month for dances (where I met Joan Vandertuin).

In the immediate years following my best friend’s passing, my Mother, and my children, one at a time, going to live with their newly remarried (and to the kids, seemingly affluent and stable) father, who did everything he could to keep me from seeing them, I spent far too many nights at the Glendale Holiday Inn, often every night.

First at the Parents Without Partners functions, then in the bar after I met John Horrigan http://www.horriganmusicschool.com/ . My preferable evening adult ‘libation’ was Drambuie on the rocks. And I ‘libated’ a lot!




Eventually, I became friends with the bar manager, Eve, and found out how very good the breakfasts were there. There was many a morning I would meet Eve (when she ‘opened’) for a late breakfast. I would usually be the only patron, and would sit at the big wood bar enjoying conversation with Eve, my breakfast, and a couple of Screwdrivers.

Without my Mother and my Children, I was completely adrift. I had little work, and far too much alcohol.

However, I met some wonderful people, most of whom were kind, but had no idea how empty and broken hearted I was. I also mentored under the poet Bayla Winters, my first ‘mentoring’ experience, and did some good writing, most of which was NOT ‘emotional’ poetry, and some of which eventually got published.

No comments:

Post a Comment